Monday, October 1, 2012

I do what I want.


I have a car, a white Plymouth Breeze. She accelerates with a stutter and her brakes are awfully sketchy, but I love her. She resides in Minnesota.

I live in Texas.

That’s right, I am carless here at camp and although I chose this, sometimes it feels really unfair and bothersome.

I get along alright as I live with the most generous and wonderful people who offer me rides anywhere I go, but I usually just tag along when I overhear a Wal-Mart run being planned.

Basically what this means is that I don’t plan my own life half the time. I don’t make my own choices. I have ideas and then hope someone else has them as well. But I’m really dependent on this makeshift family I live with.

And sometimes I HATE it.

I’m a very independent and wannabe carefree spirit. I don’t like being tethered to others’ plans.

I do what I want. (via Pinterest)



I’m being humbled, but I don’t like it at all.

The Lord has really been showing me these things- how it’s ok to need people, how I can’t do it all on my own, how I should be less selfish.

It’s a lifelong lesson I’m sure as we have always wanted to rebel against this idea of needing people, but this is how we were made to live together and share together. To feel helpless once in a while because we don’t have everything we need. When we start to think so, we start to live our lives without the guidance of an even bigger community- the Trinity.

So, this is one little way in which I am learning to be humble, to trust others, and to rely on the Lord.

It’s not easy, but it is nice sometimes to be the follower and let everyone else make all the decisions.




2 comments:

  1. love this Ashlee. it is so hard to ask for help. or to come to terms with the fact that my actions affect others. I am not exempt from living in the community around me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such an American notion too- this do it all yourself attitude. I'm striving to be more a part of the community I am in instead of wishing for a more ideal one. The Lord put me here, the engaging part is my role. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete