Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Boat

I'm going to be honest, I've been struggling a lot lately. Our summer staff is almost all here and campers arrive in just a few short weeks, so I want to be excited and ready. Yet there is one glitch. I was supposed to run our camp store, the Trading Post, this summer and I am. BUT, I'm also still working on scheduling and detail coordinating for retreats. This means I have essentially two jobs this summer and I'm already close to what I feel may be my breaking point.

It's very hard for me to say no, to ask for help, to be honest about how I'm doing. But lately, I've been trying to let others come alongside me as I'm faced with a work load that appears the size of a mountain. Maybe the Lord is trying to break me of my prideful nature in those areas. Maybe He is teaching me to humble myself, and to be vulnerable.

All I know is that our retreats director, Guy, put it perfectly when he said, "It's like you're getting into a boat and you step into it and realize it's a little farther than you thought. You're not quite sure if you can make the jump, but you also can't bring your leg back up to the dock, so you use all your strength to pull the boat back towards the dock. We're going to do our best to keep the boat as close to the dock as possible, even though you've still got a foot in each place."

So, if you think of it, say a prayer for this gal, awkwardly straddling the the water for a whole summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment