Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Joy

Don’t let comparison steal your joy.

This has been on my mind a lot lately as our retreat season gets busier and busier and we start to step over into preparing for summer camp as well.

My job this summer is to be the assistant to our office registrar. I’m very excited about this job change and have been slowly transitioning into this role as summer gets closer. However, I still miss the craziness of retreats and feel like I’m a little on the outside the reach of that exploding piñata.

Don’t get me wrong, my introverted self is certainly enjoying my time in the office and I know I’ll have plenty of opportunities this summer to interact with campers and counselors.

And I’m letting the comparison of what I’m doing to what the rest of my team is doing get to me in a negative way. And it’s stealing my joy a little bit.

And I’m not the only one. Others on my team have compared job loads, hours, and responsibilities to one another and it’s draining us of our happiness.

One thing I’ve realized though is that we need to choose our joy. We get to be content in any situation because the Lord brought us there and what good is it to count your sorrows?

So, just remember this old hymn and know it is true even now.

“Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
it is well, it is well with my soul.”





3 comments:

  1. word. I had to fight that a lot when I would be working in the office on a gorgeous day and everyone was playing at the beach or whatever... it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Hopefully this summer I'll be able to get out of the office here and there during the week though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Hymn! I sing it all the time! Thanks for the thoughts!

    ReplyDelete