Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sleepytime!

As I write this I am about to take a mid-morning nap before returning to work. It’ll be 20 minutes at the most but will have an amazing effect on my ability to appear like a high-functioning adult.

Yes, my friends, I have developed the ability to nap anywhere for pretty much any amount of time. I can fall asleep in minutes and this has become my most valuable and treasured skill.

Examples of places I’ve slept in the past few months:

  1. Floor of the camp kitchen waiting to serve meals
  2. Backseat of the truck while picking up sound equipment
  3. On any number of inflatable toys in the lake
  4. At the desk at the camp store
  5. In the activity closet
I’m certain there will be many more naps in random places to come as the days continue to be filled to the brim, save for those few minutes that spring up like popcorn on the stove.

But, as I said before, learning to sleep whenever and wherever has become my most valuable skill. I’ve had to learn to take those short, lulling moments and use them for sleep, which makes me feel refreshed and ready and alive (and sometimes even a tad spunky) once again.

This reminds me of taking the fullness of every moment we’re given. We’re all guilty of wasting time and I understand how tiring it can be to squeeze every last drop of sweetness from every moment. But try we must or we will become like statues that others pass by, lifeless stones without warmth and blood and hearts.

Like the infamous lines from Our Town, written by Thornton Wilder:

Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every,every minute?
“No.  The saints and poets, maybe they do some.

Let’s be poets and saints because we need all that rosy fullness of life to connect with people and the world around us, which connects us back to God.

Awake to life. Abundant life, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment