Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Stuff Campers Say: First Edition

I recently had the privilege of counseling the youngest campers at our Mid-Winter Madness weekend. We call them the “Gummies,” since they stay in the Sweet Gum cabins. These little gumdrops brought such joy and simplicity and laughter into my weekend.

The best thing, for me, in counseling these kids is that they just love you and trust you without much question. It’s so easy to love them back because all it takes is a hug. Since I’m so introverted I find it much easier to let myself become a jungle gym and singer of silly songs than to have awkward conversations.

And when you get a gummie talking…you’ll soon find yourself laughing.

Here’s just a little round-up of stuff campers say, the very first edition.


“You’re whispering- that means you don’t know what to do.”

“I need a piggy back ride.”

“Boys rule and girls drool.” “Yeah? Well you’re going to have a wife someday!”

“Girls you need to brush your hair today because we have a picture at the lake today.” “But why don’t you have to brush your hair? It’s MUCH wilder than mine!”

“I found this candy on the ground but I washed it off. Can I eat it?”







No comments:

Post a Comment